Friday, November 22, 2013

Oh, the Mintiness

Mint
Photo credit: Anthony Cramp
I've been seeing a homeopath for my migraines and I just took the constitutional remedy, which is like a magic pill that's supposed to fix everything that's wrong with me by helping my body to restore it's own balance.

Or something. 

My understanding is not required for this process to work. And neither is my belief. I don't really understand how Advil works, but it does. I've believed that all the medications my neurologist has given me over the years are really going to prevent migraines, so their failure to do so isn't on me. So if this is going to work, it's going to without my belief, which is good because the whole concept of a constitutional remedy sounds incredibly farfetched. 

But I'm going with it because nothing else has worked, and I have every reason to believe that it will.

All I have to do is pay attention to how I'm feeling and not sabotage the effects of the two wee tiny pills I took. You'd think that would be easy, but I have to avoid mint, menthol, camphor, eucalyptus and tea tree oil for the next several weeks. 

Again - not fully understanding, but the homeopathic remedy is actually more like a trigger than a remedy. Kind of like how Ritalin is a stimulant, but helps people with ADD to calm down and focus. And mint and menthol are such powerful remedies that they can interfere with that. 

This is also why they're in fucking EVERYTHING. Mint Toothpaste. Menthol in cough drops. I sometimes drink mint tea for an upset stomach and put peppermint oil on my forehead when I have a headache - but not for the next few weeks.

To make the toothpaste switch, first I dove into our travel-size toothpaste collection. (Shut up, you have one too.) And that's how I discovered that toothpaste comes with an expiration date. I did find one tube that was only a few months past the date and wasn't minty, so I was covered until I had a chance to go to the drug store.

But still, yuck. Because it was conventional toothpaste and I'm used to the unsweetened Tom's of Maine stuff. And yes, Tom's of Maine tastes weird when you first try it, but after a couple of weeks, regular toothpaste tastes gross and artificial and ew.

I went out and bought some Tom's strawberry-flavored children's toothpaste because my only non-mint adult options were fennel (?) and cinnamon clove. And I'm a big baby. (They have an orange-mango, but either my local Duane Reade doesn't carry it, or they were out.)

And there do exist cough drops without menthol. Apparently those Luden's (music warning: apparently, there's a Luden's song and it will start playing automatically at that link) that everyone told you were just candy? They have pectin in them which coats the throat. And Pine Brothers does the same with glycerin. 

So I'm covered, but I'll just have to make sure not to forget myself in the throes of the holiday spirit and accept some peppermint bark or something equally reckless.

But if this works, then I'll be migraine-free and able to eat all the foods that give me migraines. I don't know what I'll have first - yogurt or lemonade. Or maybe I'll really go wild and have cold cuts.

2 comments:

All the cool kids are commenting. Give it a try, it's fun!